Teslas cost more to drive per mile vs traditional gasoline vehicle.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member

y2k

Former Dish Network Sufferer
Obviously they're taken to monetizing their fast-charge offering. The cars themselves are pricier than comparable gas cars as well, as they're a boutique carmaker with products aimed at the wealthy. That will change as the big makers ramp up and competition takes hold. The premium they're charging for rapid e-charging simply goes along with their orientation toward those who don't care that much about pricing. Real-world e-costs will be lower

DishDude1

Dish Network Retailer
I'm still trying to figure out how the market decided an appropriate valuation for a company with 24.5 billion in sales and 6.6 billion in equity is half a trillion dollars.

skypros

Administrator
Many many years ago (like 2005) I did a cost comparison between a Honda Civic EX and a Civic Hybrid
Figuring the price difference between the two, then figuring cost per mile driven.....
Basically, it took almost 100,000 miles for the Hybrid to start saving $$ per mile, and then the Hybrid batteries need to be replaced At a cost of $$$$$
So in the end, the cost basis by going semi-electric was not such a wise choice!

That said, I want a all electric car....... But I will wait (for probably Volkswagen) to come out with a Nice good-looking Function-able car/suv that you can drive without range-anxiety.

As far as the supercharger network..... I am sure competition will help

y2k

There will in all likelihood come the question of forwardgoing gas prices as relates to alternatives development. Simply, low gas prices would tend to favor retention of the petrol model rather than adoption of reduced or eliminated-use alternatives including hybrid and all-electric. First of course any and all gov't subsidies of petrol can be dispensed with, and then there's the question of possible added taxation to help nudge the public over to reduced carbon emission. If the goal of converting a significant slice of the market away from petrol would come to fruition, the reduced demand for petrol would of itself tend to depress pricing, which could easily be counterproductive to continued moving away from gas...So there would need to be regulatory/taxation management

john348

Dish Network Retailer
There will in all likelihood come the question of forwardgoing gas prices as relates to alternatives development. Simply, low gas prices would tend to favor retention of the petrol model rather than adoption of reduced or eliminated-use alternatives including hybrid and all-electric. First of course any and all gov't subsidies of petrol can be dispensed with, and then there's the question of possible added taxation to help nudge the public over to reduced carbon emission. If the goal of converting a significant slice of the market away from petrol would come to fruition, the reduced demand for petrol would of itself tend to depress pricing, which could easily be counterproductive to continued moving away from gas...So there would need to be regulatory/taxation management
you better hope they dont obsolete gas or you will be walking

o-dome

Dish Network Retailer
My daughter Angie, the science teacher has a Model 3 and loves it. She has a home charging unit that came with the car and they do the fast charges on trips. She's had it going on 2 years with no issues.

y2k

My daughter Angie, the science teacher has a Model 3 and loves it. She has a home charging unit that came with the car and they do the fast charges on trips. She's had it going on 2 years with no issues.
except that she's paying well for her greenness...though great example for science classes

highmesacomm

Dish Network Retailer
Wait till they start charging you by the mile. Someone has to make up the gas tax difference. Competition may bring down the cost but the government will more than make up for any savings.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Wait till they start charging you by the mile. Someone has to make up the gas tax difference. Competition may bring down the cost but the government will more than make up for any savings.
You said it. We try to use as little water as possible at the store. The last time they read the meter they came in the store and complained that we weren't using enough water. Now you would THINK that they would say "atta boy....way to conserve". Nope, they get their revenue by water USAGE not CONSERVATION.

y2k

You said it. We try to use as little water as possible at the store. The last time they read the meter they came in the store and complained that we weren't using enough water. Now you would THINK that they would say "atta boy....way to conserve". Nope, they get their revenue by water USAGE not CONSERVATION.
How much water would they expect a TV place to go through? Did they offer to change out your meter?

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
How much water would they expect a TV place to go through? Did they offer to change out your meter?
It's their meter, if they want to change it out they are welcome to.

If you remember, a while back I recounted the story of a vineyard out in CA that implemented a big water saving campaign....the way they watered, mulch, etc. The municipality got pissed at the huge drop in water usage and now charges them for the same amount of water they USED to use.

That's why I despise these tree huggers so much, they are total hypocrites.

GARY DIAMOND

(((tRump HATER)))
It's their meter, if they want to change it out they are welcome to.

If you remember, a while back I recounted the story of a vineyard out in CA that implemented a big water saving campaign....the way they watered, mulch, etc. The municipality got pissed at the huge drop in water usage and now charges them for the same amount of water they USED to use.

That's why I despise these tree huggers so much, they are total hypocrites.
What you don't have your own well, my 300-foot well-water tastes like bottled water?

GARY DIAMOND

(((tRump HATER)))
Well an electric car does beat up the roads so someone has to pay, or we go back to dirt roads if you have solar just for your car roof I wonder if it would keep it charged

o-dome

Dish Network Retailer
Well an electric car does beat up the roads so someone has to pay, or we go back to dirt roads if you have solar just for your car roof I wonder if it would keep it charged
Roof solar panels on a car might keep your car radio playing and charge your phones but that's about it. Not enough surface area.

y2k

Light vehicles don't damage roads; it takes weathering and heavy trucks to do that. The argument for a user fee to apply to e-cars is that roads have costs to construct and maintain which are offset by gas taxes drivers pay for the value of having use of the roads and for their expansion to carry ever-growing traffic volumes. Obviously e-cars don't use gas, therefore no gas (road) tax is collected as with gas cars, so there's a "fairness" gap in some minds as to e-drivers dodging taxation and needing to be socked with some kind of make-up fee. I rather shake my head at that, given we want to encourage a steady changeover to electric and that this little "perk" could help in that regard. The oil industry is of course pushing for such fees. Others want to switch to putting a gps in every car linked to a taxation system and to charge by the mile.

In research, IL didn't enact the $1,000 annual fee, but did make it $100 by raising the annual registration fee by that amount for e-cars. There is argumentation that an e-car gets the energy equivalent of 130 mpg, and that thus it should be taxed as though buying gas that goes 130 miles to the gallon, but that of course misses the point that the tax isn't really for fuel use but for road use.

john348

Dish Network Retailer
Just think when the libtards do away with fossil fuels no more asphalt to build roads with
can you imagine the tax to build all roads from concrete
oh no
no more fossil fuel to run the kilns to make the cement
my get rich quick scheme is build electric cement trucks....