Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Recommendations for a good work boot?

qloco

Dish Network Retailer
I'm looking to buy a new pair of work boots for my satellite installation work. I currently have Wolverine 6" Insulated Waterproof Boots. I would like to get some suggestions on what brand and model to buy and where online for the best price?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

AION

Dish Network Retailer
Had a pair of redwings once. TOOK a long time break them in. Feet felt tired at the end of the day. They were cowboy style pull on's.

Last edited:

jscALLSTAR

Dish Network Retailer
I've worn Nike hiking boots since I can remember. Comfortable and good grip for the roof.

PRO SAT

Dish Network Retailer
Anyone who has spent alot of their life hanging off of power poles or ladders will tell you. REDWING!

inwo

Dish Network Retailer
Nike sneakers! :)

30 years ago I would wear out a pair of work boots in a year. I think my sneakers will last forever. And they slip on and off easy for working in customer home. I mean sitting on the couch while my wife does the inside work.

Shoes must be a lot tougher these days.

lhess

Moderated User
I've got really flat feet, those things look real painful.
The White or the Hathorne is a lineman's boot and they aren't for the faint of heart if you know what I mean. The Vasque Sundowner however is the best boot for a dish installer or anybody for that matter. I swear by them. I should start selling shoes.:rolleyes:

AAA Sats

Dish Network Retailer
Wolvarine Durashocks. Swear by them. Oil resistant neopreme sole that will not track! Carl

Jamber

Dish Network Retailer
White and red Shaq Reboks. Most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. Light, yet all leather uppers, high tops, with tight cinching laces, very secure on roofs and water tight to the top. After wearing them for four months, I'm used to the odd color.

qloco

Dish Network Retailer
Wolverine Durashocks is what I have now. Good overall boots expect for the fact that one -
When I stand on the ladder that’s extended the boot has no support under my arch they bend too easy ( maybe because I'm 250 lbs:) )

second they are too cold. The bottom of my feet get cold too quick yet the rest of my foot feels warm (think the bottoms aren't insulated enough)

And last at the end of the day I feel my feet are killing me :confused:

I wonder if its the shoe or just me and my extra lbs.

htvdo

Dish Network Retailer
It would be tough to go back to "work boots" after wearing "tennies" for the last 10 years. I like them for better traction on roofs and they are lots cooler in the summer etc. I usually just get the steel toed high top cheapies at K-Mart for about $20 and they last me a year or two, course I don't work quite as hard as I used to, equal time now is spent behind a desk it seems.

You might want to check out this site Sportsman's Guide . They have "closeouts" and seem to have good prices but you have to watch them cause they try to make some up on the shipping. I got a real confortable pair of Rockport loafers there a while back and thought I might wear them for work when my cheapies wear out but they aren't high tops.

murf

Dish Network Retailer
Most of the roofs I have to walk on are concrete shingles. I used to wear waffel stomper hiking boots but I noticed all the crap they would track into customers houses. Now I wear Reebok walking shoes with a relatively smooth sole. Much more comfortable after a long day my old feet don't scream like they used to. Traction with these is like a worm on sandpaper and I have a much better "feel" for the ladder or surface I am standing on.

I might add that a cold day here has temps around 55-60 or so, no insulation needed.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Believe it or not, you might want to go to Sears. I've used most of the boots already mentioned but I wear a size 13 so finding a boot in my size can be a real pain. Anyway, I tried the Sears Diehard boots a couple years ago and haven't looked back. They list for $85 but you can find them on sale for anywhere from 42.50 to 65.00. Reinforced shank, steel toe, but best of all the soles are NOT cleated. VERY good traction on a roof and since they aren't cleated I don't have to worry about bringing in red clay into someone's house.

BTW, no matter what type of boot you use, you should add some gel inserts........your feet will thank you!!

Stoker

Dish Network Retailer
I used to wear size 13, now I am wearing 14.

Wal-mart specials, 10 bucks, velcro straps. Really great for putting on and off when going in and out of a house when they are muddy. Otherwise, they suck when wet, and your feet can get very cold.

Doesn't this job suck?
We have been whittled down on our income, but our cost of doing business properly has and keeps going up. Some of those prices to properly protect your feet..... how many systems do you have to sell just to afford the boots? (I mean, after you pay for everything else like rent, phone, vehicles, fuel, utilities, insurance.......)

Top Bottom