Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quick note on installing ext antenna vs cell amp antenna

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
I realize some of you are going to be doing your first GotW3 modems/routers and figured this might be of use. When you install a yagi antenna for a cell phone amplifier you have to follow several basic rules or it won't work very well, if at all.......the antenna must go on the end of the house that faces the tower you are pointing at, you must have a minimum 30 ft horizontal distance and 15 ft vertical, etc. When you are installing an ext antenna for GotW3 NONE of these apply. You are connecting the coax directly to the modem itself. I HAVE found however that the higher you can get the antenna, the better. If they had Viasat or HN previously, you can use that coax and mount. However, while the ext antennas WILL mount to a Viasat mount, the HN is too large in diameter so you'll need to use an adapter pipe or use a short piece of pipe and some self-tappers.

One last thing, these modems are very light and when you connect coax to the ext ant port, it will have a tendency to pull the modem off the desk or whatever you have it setting on. I'll usually use a coax screw clip on the back of the desk to support the coax so it isn't constantly pulling on the modem.

SkyNet

Dish Network Retailer
Am I crazy or did they do away with the Antenna option in the C4R400 Auto/Ext/Int. I have looked on two routers and can't find it. Firmware Change?

SkyNet

Dish Network Retailer
Finally figured it out. I've been logging into the router on my computer at the store with Chrome and not a single (Brand New) router would display the "Antenna" link under "Connection Settings". I just logged into the router using Internet Explorer and it was there. It does not matter whether Connection Status is on or off to access it and choose your option. Also just found out if I Cleared cache and cookies on Chrome it did show back up. That would explain why Internet Explorer worked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom