OTA Antennas

psisat

Dish Network Retailer
Anyone use the "off brand" antennas out there? There is a serious problem obtaining any product from Channel Master lately, I found that the 4228 antenna works perfect for most of the installs I do, but none are available. And Winegard does not make anything comparable. Used both for years, but tired of making excuse's to CX's for delays.

dts

Dish Network Retailer
All the 4bay's seem to work about the same. P10 and Collins don't carry them anymore. Been ordering from Walmart. Lol

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
I had to break down last week and buy some Winegard preamps from Capitol sales. Been getting the constant C/M run around for a few months, but I was fortunate enough to order 50- 4228s and 5 or 10 - 4221s before the new tariffs, so I'm good for awhile and the price I've been charging for years on the 8 bay, $149, is now Amazon's price. :D The other place carrying CM is Bursma Electronics.

y2k

Former Dish Network Sufferer
maybe it's related to both the carriage disputes and that freq's are now changing again....

wth- this digital crap was supposed to be the end to ghosting and other reception probs, but all it seems to do is cause the signal to cycle, bouncing completely out and then back in

Last edited:

psisat

Dish Network Retailer
Bursma is my primary supplier, nothing but a run around lately. I have used primarily Winegard products for 40+ years, never an issue. They always had a great selection to choose from, now they have 2 things, Jack and shit. The CM 4228 will work in 75% of my area, is super easy to install, the other 25%, I have to use a WG 8200. But rotors are out of site also. Can't win.

ForSat

Dish Network Retailer
We had the best luck in my area with the Channel Master 3016 but it looks to be discontinued. The ones left are way overpriced.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Capitol Sales is showing some Winegard antennas in stock. We've always been CM, going back to the '50s. As I said earlier, I stocked up, but it wasn't because I thought there was an impending shortage, but to beat the price hike from tariffs. If I'd known of the shortage, I'd have ordered a couple dozen more 7777s to go along with the couple dozen I got. Now I've had to order a few Winegard amps to tide us over.

Has anyone tried these? https://www.skyblueantenna.com/products.html

When I almost signed up with All Systems for GotW3, they said they stocked them.

ncsalpena

Dish Network Retailer
Channel Master junk

Channel Master used to be pretty good stuff but they have really gone down hill lately. They don't like the cold temperatures we get here in Northern Michigan.

john348

Dish Network Retailer
i always found the sun killed the plastic parts if you have to touch it after its been up a summer
i prefered the winegard 8 bay 8800's

Last edited:

psisat

Dish Network Retailer
It is NLA, and did not have VHF, which is what we need here. Although the 4228's vhf is limited, it seems to work fairly well here.

dishrich

Dish Network Retailer

Never heard of them before...but judging by those prices (which I sure HOPE are retail :eek: ) they must be proud of those antennas!

But has anyone tried these antennas; they've been out for years & been distributed by Skywalker:
http://www.digitenna.com/dealer-flyer.html

The problem I see with them, they seem to be primarily optimized for UHF, but can work in some instances on (high) VHF signals where there is a good amount of signal in that band. (we have 2 such stations here, but one is a primary PBS that's fairly weak)

FYI, in some markets, there are a few stations that are being repacked into the low-VHF (2-6) range for the first time...mostly secondary stations, but something to keep in mind when buying antennas now. ;)

Last edited:

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Just got a dozen Winegard LNA pre amps from Capitol. Ordered them a week ago after hearing story of CM saying they'll be in stock the end of December. The Winegards were out of stock too, but my rep said they had 90 coming in by the end of last week and they just showed. Better grab what you can, because no doubt the Winegards will be hard to come by soon as everyone gives up on CM.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Latest CM "update". Call Capitol Sales last week to order some Denon Heos equipment. Of course I had to ask about CM. The one new interesting, not really, thing our rep mentioned was CM wants distributors to "authorize" dealers to sell CM products. He said CM told them they, CM, is sick of seeing all the Internet lowballing of their product.:eek: Anyone who gets CM advertising emails knows who the "lowballers" are, it's CM. They're always running deals directly to customers lower than for what we can buy the product. I've never worried about MSRP, I usually sell above, so this wouldn't bother me, but really.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Capitol Sales isn't playing the C?M game anymore:

HI Jeff,

Just left you a VM on the Channel Master situation. We’ve decided we are not going forward with them, so all of our orders are going to cancel. I’m sorry you had to go through all this waiting/delays, etc. I found an order with 10 each of the 5’masts. Do you still need those? We have them from Winegard, less moola.

Thanks!

Ken