I guess Viasat has benched the hybrid idea

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
About a year ago I went to a Viasat meeting over in Pensacola and one of the new ideas they were touting was some type of hybrid internet system where the customer would have AT&T dsl and Viasat internet. It seemed about as good of an idea as building a cruise ship out of screen mesh. Anyway, I talked to a Viasat dealer today...he is in a VS2 area. I asked him about how this hybrid idea worked out. He said THAT meeting was the first and last he heard them talk about it. So that means they wasted all that time and money on what this dumb redneck realized within 10 min, on something that was NEVER going to work.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Didn’t they used to do that with the old one way dial up systems?

Yep, they sure did. I was one of the first to have one of those systems in my area. If I remember correctly, it was called DirectWay. It used your phone modem for outgoing and the satellite for downloading. Seems like the speeds were under 100k but at the time, that was amazing.

SkyNet

Dish Network Retailer
What seems amazing to me is that 19 years ago people were paying me $800 to install Starband which was Unlimited data and could download 10 times faster than dial-up (500 Kbps /1/2 Mbps).

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
What seems amazing to me is that 19 years ago people were paying me $800 to install Starband which was Unlimited data and could download 10 times faster than dial-up (500 Kbps /1/2 Mbps).

I installed 30 for the detroit public school system for their distance learning project.

They got a grant, paid full price for the system and a years programming upfront.

Got all the jobs installed, then found out it wouldn’t work with VPN.

About a month later, Comcast came in and started offering cable internet. Guy from
cancelled all of them, told me to pick up the equipment. He was happy to get rid of it.

Since we couldn’t do commercial at the time, and I wasn’t going to say no to someone who was giving me almost $50,000 I put them all under my name and was just going to pay the bills every month from the money they paid upfront.

Needless to say, I never paid the bill on any of them :)

y2k

Former Dish Network Sufferer
I installed 30 for the detroit public school system for their distance learning project.

They got a grant, paid full price for the system and a years programming upfront.

Got all the jobs installed, then found out it wouldn’t work with VPN.

About a month later, Comcast came in and started offering cable internet. Guy from
cancelled all of them, told me to pick up the equipment. He was happy to get rid of it.

Since we couldn’t do commercial at the time, and I wasn’t going to say no to someone who was giving me almost $50,000 I put them all under my name and was just going to pay the bills every month from the money they paid upfront.

Needless to say, I never paid the bill on any of them :)
You didn't have to do a time commitment?

Did you get charged back?

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
You didn't have to do a time commitment?

Did you get charged back?
No, time frame. Took my time to get them all installed.

yes I got charged back, but they paid me for the service for 1 year in advance.

They cancelled and I didn’t pay the bill.

so either pay the bill for a year at $79/mo or keep the money and eat a chargeback.

I made my choice, they where not using it anyways and gave me all the equipment