Ext antennas and cell amps - how to improve GotW3 performance

SkyNet

Dish Network Retailer
Got a nightmare from hell issue going on with customer that built a metal barn to live in while they built a house. Too complicated to cover but heading out today for 5th Service Call - no service on At&T Gotw3 in barn or house

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Went to the guy who complained it was slow. I said we were getting 35 last I was there with the unit in the window. "That's not very good is it? Isn't 100 good? I think that's what I was getting at the old house". He had Consolidated DSL which if everything is perfect may get someone 15, but where he was, he was lucky if he was getting 2. On him computer, which he said he just "cleaned", it'd take a couple of minutes to download an attachment in his Yahoo email. I remembered I have a Yahoo email, which I haven't visited in a couple of years, so there should be 10k+ unread messages. Boom! Open right up. I set both my iPads & phone to play videos from YouTube at the same time, no problem. Buddy, your 10 year old laptop is the problem. Still neither of us can make a cell call, because the Att signal is so poor. He's interested in a booster, but I mention WiFi calling which he thinks he has on his phone. I turn it on and all is well.

Yesterday I took my dog & GotW3 demo unit for a leaf peeping ride. Randomly doing speedtests as we went. When I got to the bottom of the hill where I failed at the install a couple of days earlier, I was getting 27. Odd I thought, but it is 6/10 mile up to the house. Up the road I went to the end where there's a Y to 2 driveways. Still high 20s. "You lost buddy?". The customer drove up next to me. I've known her since she was bussing tables at the golf course 25 years ago. Up to the house we went. I told her the difference between the no connection the other day and the good speed I was getting now(DSL says the best they can do is 3, but testing shows about half that). I tell her all I can think of is there must have been a bad tower and they've fixed it. I was sitting in the van, did a test, 27 down, then got out to go talk to her mom inside and the signal dropped to no connection. WTF? Wait a minute. I put a cell booster in the van a week or two ago. Wow! Now I'll be going back to do a cell booster and GotW3. If you've been wondering about cell boosters, this takes us from no connection to 27 down. I had my Wilson meter out the first day walking the property and couldn't find what I thought was useable cell signal to boost.

SkyNet

Dish Network Retailer
Monday I was testing for a Rural connection with a Wilson Test antenna I use. I had it pointed North West at an AT&T tower a few miles away. I had good signal, good quality, good speed. When I checked the cell identity the tower I was receiving signal from was located a few miles North East. Thinking I could improve on things, I pointed the antenna to the North East. My signal and quality and speed got worse. I really hate these Wilson Antennas. I do not believe they are very directional. I am going to start looking for an alternative.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
They have a 30 degree view angle. I've just finished installing my first 6 Surecall kits, because now Capitol Sales is going around in circles with Wilson, just like they did with Channel Master off air products and that ended with us switching to Sky Blue after selling CM for 60 years. I think both SureCall & SkyBlue are better products. The SureCall kits are $50 cheaper than the comparable Wilson, at least what Cap was selling them for and I checked a couple of other distributors who sold Wilson for $40 more than Cap. SnapAv is where I got the SureCall and the more you buy, the more of a discount you get. We get no discount and I believe the price was $370 per. The SureCall amps claim 72db, Wilson 65db. SureCall a hefty metal housing like the Wilson pro install line, but Wilson costs double. Individual adjustments for each band on the SureCall. Comparing SureCall Fusion 4 Home to WeBoost 4G Connect/4G MultiRoom(new name?)