Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DSI on the verge on signing deal with GotW3

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that's ONE of the antennas I use. There are other ones on Ebay you can get for around $20 but you have to buy N to F adapters. There are also some higher gain ones that cost around $69.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Yesterday they mentioned the COD upgrades, they said one was 250 & the other was 50. I turn on my XboxOne so infrequently, when I do it insists on doing an upgrade for something and I usually get aggravated and walk away.

I ordered 10 of the GotW3 routers, 10 ATT SIM cards & 1 TMobile, because as I've said before, I don't think there's any TMobile anywhere around here, but I'll search. I asked my rep if she knew if she knew how many routers came in a box lot(I don't mind buying this way so I don't have to get a box with only a couple pulled out. At first she thought it was 28, which I'd have bought, then she looked and found it's 100, which gets you a $10 per router discount. I ask if that got me free shipping. Nope, $69. So if I spend $14k, you won't ship free? I did find out the reps get $1.70 per router sold, which she likes better than the $2 they got per ViaSat activation, not sale. Apparently lots of dealers sit on product for a long time, hence the rep gets nothing all that time. She wanted to know how come I won't buy antennas from DSI. I had her google the yagi part number. First hit was $20 under DSI "dealer" price and I just went to the Capitol Sales site and they're $20 more less, so $40 less than DSI on a $40 item. The Wilson amp GotW3 advertises isn't available through DSI, you have to order through GotW3, which we both thought was dumb. I asked her why DSI doesn't sell cell boosters. Then gave her a rundown of the pros & cons of using either a whole home cell booster or an antenna, antenna/amp straight into the router. She seemed to be taking notes.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, you might be surprised at where you'll find T-Mobile towers. I had NO idea how many there were in our area.

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody uses the term "nest cameras" when inquiring about internet is a no-sale. Most people want to record to the cloud, each camera can use 250 gigs per month....it's a problem/turd just waiting for you to step in it.

We also are now turning away sales for Rural/AT&T customers if they have a son who games online. Call of Duty has had two back to back updates...one was around 50 gigs and the other was over 60.

We are learning it is best to sell ONLY to rock solid customers signalwise and NON-gamers.
My nest camera works good on my 1gig unlimited AT&T fiber :)

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
My nest camera works good on my 1gig unlimited AT&T fiber :)
I takes a huge amount of bandwidth to properly run all these things. We've got one very unsmart customer who has called TWICE checking on her internet options.....she is looking to move to the area (moving from high crime part of FL) and has a son in his early 20s who is a "gaming trainer" :rolleyes: ....in other words "I've sucked at raising my son and now he just sits around and games all day". Erin, for the SECOND time, told her yesterday to buy a place in the city that has Spectrum cable for internet. She insisted that she wants to live out in the country. Erin finally told her we would not sell to her under any conditions.

SkyNet

Dish Network Retailer
Is it not true that if a camera is set to record "Motion Only" that it would use far less data, assuming we are not recording trees blowing, etc.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Is it not true that if a camera is set to record "Motion Only" that it would use far less data, assuming we are not recording trees blowing, etc.
Yes, that would be true. We've just learned through the school of hard knocks that customers will tell you one thing and then do another. In these camera's case, they'd say they were setting them for motion only and then have them record 24/7. Customers not being truthful has become a HUGE issue. It's hard to set them up with a product if the scenario they present if false. Case in point: Had a dude come in the other day inquiring about internet. Said his son hardly games at all....judging from this guy's age, his son would have to be around 30 which means he's a loser living off his parents. I dig more and more and he finally fesses up and admits his son uses over 1 terabyte of data per month gaming. No sale. Took me 20 minutes to finally get the truth out of him.

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
What difference does it make if these people burn through their data?

Sounds like the Dish days when the chargeback period was 30 days and here we where turning away people because we felt they couldn’t pay.

Unless there is a huge chargeback sitting out there when these people cancel, why do you have to turn people away?

As far as I’m concerned explain the data policy, make them sign something if necessary that they know they have so much usage, install it and get paid.

If your properly selling in an area that can’t get cable internet, DSL, or a wireless provider, Gotw3 is their only option.

what is the customer going to do, go to Hughesnet or viasat?

Correct me if I’m wrong, it is what it is. If it’s a cash sale with no chargeback, who cares.

install it, explain the data policies and collect your money and move on.

if you don’t sell them, someone else will.

I get it you want to qualify people correctly, but it makes me sick thinking of all the Dish customers I used to turn away after believing I was doing Charlie a favor by walking away sometimes.

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that would be true. We've just learned through the school of hard knocks that customers will tell you one thing and then do another. In these camera's case, they'd say they were setting them for motion only and then have them record 24/7. Customers not being truthful has become a HUGE issue. It's hard to set them up with a product if the scenario they present if false. Case in point: Had a dude come in the other day inquiring about internet. Said his son hardly games at all....judging from this guy's age, his son would have to be around 30 which means he's a loser living off his parents. I dig more and more and he finally fesses up and admits his son uses over 1 terabyte of data per month gaming. No sale. Took me 20 minutes to finally get the truth out of him.
my question where are they getting a terabyte or data to burn through now?

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Who's your DSI rep? Adrianne?
Yes, since John Quinn was "downsized". I believe on the webinar I heard the name Mike Littman mentioned. I think he's who they said was our point of contact at DSI for GotW3 questions. I know you mentioned him in the past.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Mike is now with GotW3, DSI let him go. I just found this out yesterday when talking to Justin. Really made my day. Mike was over 50% of why I went to all those Viasat dealer council meetings. He and I would head to the bar at the hotel they were putting us up at after we got back from eating and talk for hours. He is VERY laid back and VERY easy to talk to.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Glad to hear. Never heard his name until you mentioned it awhile ago. It was a mishmash of DSI & GotW3 people, so I got the current connection jumbled. Not that so many of these guys don't just shuffle from one company to another from time to time.:D Anyone heard from Rusty Hughes lately? :D
Yes, that's ONE of the antennas I use. There are other ones on Ebay you can get for around $20 but you have to buy N to F adapters. There are also some higher gain ones that cost around $69.
I know you've done the research and have come up with a lot of dogs too. How about makes/models of the antennas you've found to be the winners? Also what was the determination on whether or not WiFi extenders work or not with GotW3? I don't know why they wouldn't, but I haven't done any.

Last edited:

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
As for antennas, your best price is going to be ordering directly from China via Ebay. The problem is the quality can really vary with each order EVEN from the SAME seller. I bought about 100 N to F adapters from China a while back for about 60 cents each. It takes a few weeks to get things from China but you save a lot cutting out the middleman.

As for extenders, haven't had any issues lately. I carry the real super good ones but mostly use the basic TP Link unit....it's SUPER easy to set up and you can buy them for under $15.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
The $15 TP-Link are the ones I've been using for the last couple of years. I thought you'd experimented with numerous aftermarket antennas and determined a couple that work well and a bunch that are dogs?

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Many of my proposed experiments still haven't been performed. We have been SO busy and the past 2 1/2 months, every single spare minute has been spent on my daughter's new barber shop. Rain has also been a huge issue....I've got a metal roof with a 5 pitch so it has to be perfectly dry for me to walk up on it. Hopefully today I'll be able to try a true mimo antenna setup....I doubt it though.....already black clouds.

Barricklow

Dish Network Retailer
So I am a bit confused...We started in the cell business in 93 and did cell repeaters last about 20 years ago and always understood we needed 50 ohm coax. Often using RG58 or for longer runs LMR-400. I am now told we can use the adapter to convert to 75 ohm. Wouldn't that create a problem??? Does the modem prefer 50 ohm or 75 ohm???? I would assume the internal unit is 50 ohm based on the SMA connector. Thoughts???

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that might be an issue as well but it doesn't seem to be so. I use solid copper 75 ohm coax with adapters. The BEST solution is a cell amp system.

Top Bottom