Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dish Covers

extremeinstall

Does anyone sell dishcovers? Do you sell alot, do they really work, and how much profit do you get?

y2k

Former Dish Network Sufferer
i have seen absolutely no need for this product...oh, 'possibly', if high uptime is needed and the dish is inaccessible...but i have had next to no calls from custs down due to snow...with the offset feed design leaving the reflector at too steep an angle for snow to build up, and given that the farther north you go, the steeper yet that angle, it's a nonissue, at least to everyone but accessory sellers and retailers concerned mainly with marketing extras for 'profit'...oh, i HAVE seen just the right 'wet' snow conditions cause enough to build up on the lnb/arm to cut sig, but that's rare and usually easily remedied or clears itself...better to tell cust to wax their dish once a yr

Acquiring DirecTV.
Please Wait.

skypros

Administrator
I have tried every fricken Dish Cover there is !
I purchased 100 of the flat covers with my name
on them. The problem with the flat covers is that
the fabric is not glass smoth, so the snow starts
collecting and building up.
The Worst one's were DS Cover.
I have the one with the fiberglass rod going through
it, It has helped But it still builds up snow AND
when I put the cover on, it brought the signal
down 5db.
The only thing that works is a Dish Heater.
The problem we have here in california is the angle
of the satellite dish:
18" Directv 45 elevation
18" Dish Net 50 elevation
Dish 500 52 elevation

The full dish covers may work in the east....But
thery sure don't work here in the west.

Picturer link:
Left 18" Ditectv with Full Cover
Middle 18" Dish Net (110) with flat cover
Right 18" Dish Net (119) with a Dish Heater (hot shot)

<font color=red>PSDA</font> <font color=white>Member</font> <font color=blue>'99</font>
is the sky the limit?

dparnell

Dish Network Retailer
dilithium crystals---sorry, couldn't help myself
!!!

Gee, WHY don't I have $49 refurbs to offer the customer???

DAS

Dish Network Retailer
Has anyone ever tried the Sgard hood? It fits over the top of the dish and snaps on. They are manufactured about 20 miles from here.

According to the manufacturer, when there is heavy rain in the clouds, the signal is distored into an oval shape instead of a circular shape, which causes rain fade. There are metal strips in the dish which reshapes the signal back into a circular shape.

I saw these guys at the SBCA show. Did anyone else?

Brandy

Dish Network Retailer
I Tell all My Customers That ask About them Not To waste their money, But some buy anyway. Its beyond Me How People can be so gulible. We Are About 100 Mile from the nearest OTA City, And some Customers insist that they heard that the Little thingy that clips on your dish will bring in all the Local Networks,
DUUHH

"Do You Have Them There DISKS?"

AAA Sats

Dish Network Retailer
Go buy "cheap" dollar store black plasic bags -- ones you wouldn't dare put trash in. The signal will go right through them and the color heps melt the snow! Carl

skypros

Administrator
extreeminstall
Yes the Dish Heaters require power, they use a 24V transformer that plugs into the house current.
you then run 18awg wire (looks like cheep speaker wire & is included with the heater).

as far as anything "magical" for dishes...Forget it there is no magic antennas or accessories

<font color=red>PSDA</font> <font color=white>Member</font> <font color=blue>'99</font>
is the sky the limit?

skypros

Administrator
acually
AAA is correct, But it sure looks trashy

the tighter the better....remember you don't want any wrinkles in the trash bag....because it will start collecting snow or ice.

is the sky the limit?

Hawkeye

On a long vacation!
Covers too have to be swept if snow is wet or just wait for it to drop off. It does save time as far as the number of times you would have to remove snow. I carry 2 full covers in my truck for Dish 20" but only use them on roof mounts that are unaccessable unless a ladder is used. The heater type is too time consuming to wire unless it is a commercial installation.

Funny this came up a customer just called me and said their sat was acquiring signal and I had placed a cover on it 4 days before XMas the last 2 days have been temp affected not cold enough to keep it frozen and another rood dumped snow on this one and the signal was lost after the snow froze again. Told customer to get ladder and sweep it off or I would come out tommarrow.

I used Clear Sat for years with BUG dishes but they could be moved and I would set H-H Mounts for snow dumping and it worked well. Now I use
DS Cover for the little dishes since they are cheaper made out of Bird cloth.

The one in the picture with the bone through the center support is clear sat. If I sell one I tell the customer that it will eliminate about 60% of the times they will have to sweepit off.

My customers range from 7K to 10.5K elevation most of the covers for little dishes are in Telluride.

Have a Happy New Year

Hawkeye``

Current_Source

Dish Network Retailer
Wouldn't something like teflon spray work better to help shed the snow?? Just a thought.

Give your Christmas Tree a little hug for me!

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
I never used one, and never will! As far as im concerned, Dish covers are a piece of crap and look ugly!

I used to be on their dealer locater and only got one referal from a customer looking to purchess a Dish cover. The only reason why the customer called me was because he wanted someone to go to his home and install it for him

Now I have no problem going out and installing one of these things, but I refuse to get off my my ladder and climb up a steep roof, especially on a 2.5 story home! And when I asked the customer if he would be willing to go up there, his responce was "Thats why im calling you"

I flat out told the customer that I was not going to even attempt to go on his roof and that the Dishcover was not going to do him any good. A matter of fact, I was so sure of it I told him that if we get a really bad storm and snow somehow sticks to your Dish, I'll give you a Dish cover for FREE.

There there is no need for a Dish cover, especially here in Detroit since the elevation for 119 is only 29 degrees. Considering the off-set of the Dish, there is just not enough elevation on the Dish to collect any snow.

Well the customer didn't like my ansewer and called Dishcover to complain. Dishcover apparenty called me up and told them they where going to take me off their VRU if I didn't want to sell their products.

Needless to say, I told them to take me off

DNSC, The Satellite Retailers Best Friend.

ESGSAT

Dish Network Retailer
Don't jump on me but it works really well.

Use a good quality silicone auto wax ... 3 layers.

Additional profit point. Each fall just before winter (when there use to be spare time in day) I mailed my installed customer list a

"WINTER SATELLITE TUNE UP" post card.

The price point would run $75.00 - $99.00.
included would be a house call
check the dish alignment (from the receiver)
antenna peaking if necessary..
Dish waxing if exposed to snow (I have a tone of these things installed under the eves on a side wall)
new batteries in the remote controls (did all the remotes satellite, TV's, VCr's etc. batteries were charged extra)
general connector tightening
general system condition look over.

I always made money on these calls ... lots of takers. Always lots of extra work when I got there ... ad sets, vcr hookups, additional telephone jacks, surround system hook ups etc. etc. etc.

There is tons of work available ... be creative and do not be afraid to charge for a service.

My HBO works just fine, what's your problem?

joe1116

Dish Network Retailer
Dish covers work GREAT! .... For those that make and sell them

They are perhaps the most useless accesory in the industry, most times causing more issues than not having one at all.

Just an "inefficient, disfavored retailer" trying to make a living.
I am DISH Network

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
You know what the funney thing is, call up the people who sell the Dishcovers and ask them for a good reason why you should buy their product.

I think its amazing sometimes what people say these things can do

DNSC, The Satellite Retailers Best Friend.

skypros

Administrator
ESGSAT
I like that. I am going to take off one of my covers and try waxing one of them.
If it works, I am going to do the Winter Satellite Tune-Ups.

If I could just get my hands on 100 dishes at once, I have a customer that can take them to his biz and have them teflon coated.

is the sky the limit?

Tom Taylor

Dish Network Retailer
I was told by the Undercover guys in California not to put Son of a Gun or other silicone on Dishcovers because the sun will cause it to crystallize and it will slowly start to attenuate the signal. Anyone remember the "Undercover" that we used to put over the 7.5 foot dishes to make them look like patio furniture? Anyone need an Undercover?

Tom Taylor

Top Bottom