Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CAUGHT: How does your "work" buffer?

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Had a customer get internet from us a few weeks ago. She HAD to have it for her work. She worked from home "all day" and needed internet that would allow her to log into her company's system...VPN. She called the other day complaining about speeds. During the conversation I asked her what kind of problem was she having.....was she having issues logging onto her company's system? At this point I'm thinking that perhaps their servers were not up to par for everyone working remotely. No she said....our problem is that it buffers now and then. Buffers????...how exactly does your WORK buffer? Netflix and Prime can buffer but not your work. Busted. Turns out she, like 90% of Americans who are "working from home" was watching Netflix all day and her kids were all hold up in their rooms streaming and gaming.

We are starting to simply tell folks to buy another unit for their "work" if their kids are hogging all the bandwidth. Some dude called day before yesterday and said he was having issues with ZOOM meetings. He lives in a remote area and we told him his speeds wouldn't be the best but would be sufficient for his work. He said his son games and downloads movies non-stop. Erin said "well there's your problem". He said...and I kid you not "do you think I should ask my son not to be on the internet while I work?" ASK????? I can just picture my Dad 40 yrs ago "asking" me if I would allow him to work and EARN the money required to keep the lights on!!

al

Dish Network Retailer
We have seen video streaming increase drastically since customers have been “working” from home.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
We have seen video streaming increase drastically since customers have been “working” from home.
You might be able to shed some light on where the data is going Al. I didn't even think about your ability to see what type of traffic goes through a typical network until you posted. Can you give us a basic breakdown of usage? That was one of the handy things with Viasat's SVT, we could see a pie chart of usage....video, gaming, etc.

al

Dish Network Retailer
We see alot of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and YouTubeTV IP addresses. We started looking when our "peak" start time moved from 5 pm to 9 am and our network got slammed with video traffic following the Stay at home orders back in March. Nothing we can do about it, but it is irritating when people call saying they are having trouble "working" from home because their VPN is slow, and all we see is video traffic on their account.

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
WOW!!!!...peak time moving from 5pm to 9am is simply unreal!! All this sitting on their butts is going to cause a spike in obesity.

Me? If I EVER have any extra time, I'm building something.

al

Dish Network Retailer
We have seen a decrease in usage over the past 2 weeks between 9 am and 5 pm. Its not near back to normal usage however. I am wondering how much is related to the $600/wk unemployment enhancement going away?

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
........where there's smoke.......

I think you probably nailed it.

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
Don't have this issue selling Comcast or Spectrum. Plenty of bandwith available on the cable systems we sell into.

Antenna Man

Dish Network Retailer
Don't have this issue selling Comcast or Spectrum. Plenty of bandwith available on the cable systems we sell into.
Yes, yes it does. You've been told this a few times before, but apparently you prefer to continue to post your untruth.

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, yes it does. You've been told this a few times before, but apparently you prefer to continue to post your untruth.
satellite sure as hell ain’t paying the bills anymore around my place.

95% of my business is now cable.

Top Bottom