Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Be sure to peak on the 110 on WA installs

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
We do mostly EA installs in our area but in one dma we can use either. I wasted a bunch of time on an install the other day and figured it was worth a post. I used to peak on the 129 since it was the weakest of the three on WA installs. The other day I kept having issues with a H3 install. On 110 channels the pic would pixelate, then it lost the 100 all together. Checked signal at the switch and it was showing mid 50s. Still wouldn't see it on check switch. Grabbed another hopper, same thing. I rerun coax and replace hub, same thing. I finally decide to peak on the 110 and got the signal up to 70....lost a little on the 129 but at this point I don't really care. Problem solved. For whatever reason the H3s have to have a really strong 110 or it won't function correctly.

eddie_willers

Dish Network Retailer
Interesting. My home Hopper 3 has been acting like a hurricane is on the horizon for two days.

I will go outside and check to see in water got into fitting, but maybe something else? No new software but.....

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
Check signal on the 110....it caused problems even on non-110 channels. No problems since I peaked on 110.

eddie_willers

Dish Network Retailer
Too old. Old installer died.

So I chatted with Dish.

I immediately said I'd buy the Protection Plan. That gets their attention and cuts through a lot questions. :D Since you can cancel after 6 months, it turns a $99 service call to $60.

Coming Monday.

y2k

Former Dish Network Sufferer
i have a dish job coming up....have to move dish for my dad so he can keep getting foxnews....tree growing into the way of 129....worse, i planted it, AFTER the dish install.....

dishstaller

Administrator
Staff member
You could always go eastern arc...that is unless his locals are WA.

eddie_willers

Dish Network Retailer
So I went outside to check the fittings again and THIS time I turned around and saw a neighbor's tree had shot up 5 feet not 10 ft away. Hmmmm methinks.

So the neighbor will cut it down tomorrow, but I may keep the appointment and ask him to raise the dish (WA) a couple of feet higher on the side of the house and re aim and peak on 110.

claude greiner

Administrator
Staff member
So I went outside to check the fittings again and THIS time I turned around and saw a neighbor's tree had shot up 5 feet not 10 ft away. Hmmmm methinks.

So the neighbor will cut it down tomorrow, but I may keep the appointment and ask him to raise the dish (WA) a couple of feet higher on the side of the house and re aim and peak on 110.
My neighbors tree did that.

Guys wife passed away in 2012 and he stopped keeping up the house. Little weed tree started to grow under the dish and eventually covered it.

2018 he had a house fire and I cut the tree down.

It was covering his old dish network dish, which we had replaced with Directv several years ago

eddie_willers

Dish Network Retailer
Little weed tree started to grow
I'm guessing this is an unwanted tree or weed. You could not fit your hand around the trunk, but it is "planted" right next to our fence in an almost inaccessible area.

This is the second time I have bought the Protection Plan (to cancel after the required 6 months) only to discover the next day that it wasn't needed. We built a screened in area with roof right next to the dish and my niece's Joey quit.

I assumed we had blocked the signal with the roof, but the Suunto checked clear and it was just a coincidence that her Joey went out at that time.

eddie_willers

Dish Network Retailer
would protection cover tree growth?
Of course not. That why is wished I had turned around while I was checking the fittings and drip loops. :eek:

The neighbor sawed down the tree/weed yesterday and all is well.

I still haven't cancelled Monday's appt. Wondering if I should ask him to raise the dish one or two feet as another tree (this one purposeful and in front of his bathroom has grown quite large in the 15 years the dish has been up).

Maybe later I will dig through my junk to find my old Suunto and see if the other tree could 'grow' into a problem.

Anyone know the azimuth on 129 in zip code 30517?

eddie_willers

Dish Network Retailer
Dishpointer.com
Thanks. I'm assuming the Dish sat. is 129W CIEL-2?

Satellite: 129W CIEL-2 | GALAXY 12 (G-12)
Elevation: 28.0°
Azimuth (true): 240.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 246.7°

And it's been so long that I used the wrong term. All I need to care about is elevation!

eddie_willers

Dish Network Retailer
Thanks. I'm assuming the Dish sat. is 129W CIEL-2?

Satellite: 129W CIEL-2 | GALAXY 12 (G-12)
Elevation: 28.0°
Azimuth (true): 240.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 246.7°

And it's been so long that I used the wrong term. All I need to care about is elevation!
Turns out that Azimuth was important.

Dish fellow came out yesterday. He was about my age (!) and it was getting hot at 2:00 PM. I told him the story and that I was a little worried about this bush that had grown so large that the top was at 27 degrees off horizon and 129 was only 28. Would next year be a problem etc.?

As I say, I didn't check azimuth with my Suunto, only elevation. He had an iPhone app and when we shot, it showed the three sats as red dots. 129 was to the right of the bush that concerned me and 119 was to the left.

I thanked him for his time, signed his phone and said have a nice, extra long lunch.

:eek:

y2k

Former Dish Network Sufferer
given that 119 and 129 are dbs-adjacent, they would currently each be barely missing the obstruction and in line to be blocked after it grows

Top Bottom